Rachel Carson's influence on the lives of current female environmental leaders
Hannaford Lecture Hall, Portland Campus, USM
Sponsored by the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs.
This discussion will highlight the influence of Rachel Carson on the perspectives and lives of five current female environmental leaders in Maine. The event will be moderated by Naomi Schalit, Executive Director of Pinetree Watchdog. Naomi is the former Executive Director of Maine Rivers and former reporter and producer for Maine Public Radio. Panelists include:
- Pattie Aho, DEP Commissioner
- Michele Dionne, Ph.D., Research Director, Wells National Estuarine Research Preserve
- Melissa Welsh Innes, Maine State Representative (D-Yarmouth)
- Lisa Pohlmann, Executive Director, Natural Resources Council of Maine
- Amanda Sears, Associate Director, Environmental Health Strategy Center
USM alumna Kate Cheney Chappell ’83, co-founder of Tom’s of Maine and an accomplished artist and poet, has developed an art show on the inspirations of Rachel Carson. Ms. Chappell will also speak at the panel discussion and share a DVD she has produced regarding her art and connection to Rachel Carson.
This event is part of a special celebration of Rachel Carson’s life and her impact on contemporary society. See more info